I’m not one to play too many sports games, however the announcement trailer for Matchpoint – Tennis Championships, by Australian based Torus Games and published by Kalypso Media, has me pretty excited. I used to play school tennis as a kid and I was pretty good at it to playing in inter-school tournaments. I enjoyed the heck out of Wii Sports – Tennis when the Wii was still new and fresh, but other than that I haven’t seen a decent Tennis game worth looking more into. However, you have got to check out the trailer for Matchpoint – Tennis Championships. Not only does the court and player models look like the real thing, the aspect that impressed me the most was the shirt physics as the players moved around. Very impressive, and its coming to all platforms in Spring 2022.
Matchpoint – Tennis Championships is a modern take on tennis, featuring a true-to-life on-court experience supported by a deep career mode and unique rivalry system. The game places a strong focus on tactical realism, positioning and aiming, allowing the player to move their superstar in exactly the right way to get the most out of their shots, and we will be able to create our own player avatar too. Matchpoint: Tennis Championships combines slick character animations, authentic ball physics and enhanced player control to replicate the realistic rhythm of the game – every swing and hit feeling unique and satisfying. Here are the key features of the game at a glance:
- Start your journey in single-player or online multiplayer. A deep career mode featuring a merit-based ranking system, allows for accurate and competitive matchmaking.
- Create your own 3D tennis star. Choose your look, fashion and play style with an array of customisation options including true to life techniques such as left-or right-handed, one-handed or two-handed backhand.
- Dominate the court as a tennis professional. Matchpoint: Tennis Championships features 16 real-life international tennis stars from the professional circuit, including Nick Kyrgios, Kei Nishikori and Amanda Anisimova.
- Fully customise your athlete and wearables. From rackets to clothing, the game features gear from all of tennis’ name-brands including UNIQLO, HEAD, and many more.
- Unlock special equipment by winning competitive matches.
- Master all strokes and shots in grand style. Determine the outcome of a rally by choosing the best technique for the time: top spin, flat, lob or slice shot.
- Take on opponents in local or online matches. Play against a cunning AI or face your friends and rivals on the court via local sessions and online cross-play.
- Study your rival’s moves and tactics. Watch your opponents and get to know their strengths and weaknesses to gain a tactical advantage before you even hit the court.
- Practice makes perfect: hire a personal coach to hone your skills. Buff your strengths and diminish your weaknesses with an in-game coaching system of individual training modules.
- Fine-tune your tactics in Practice and Training modes: Jump into a variety of mini-games to hone your perfect game and become a force to be reckoned with on the court.
- Compete in exhibition matches at spectacular venues around the globe. Each court has its own characteristics; study your arenas of play and adapt your game to grass, clay and hard courts.
- Replay mode. Breakpoint or deciding match point, capture your fiercest rallies on film and study the outcomes to improve your game.
Matchpoint: Tennis Championships is set for release in Spring 2022 on PlayStation 4|5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PC, and Nintendo Switch.
Written by: @ChrisJInglis