[This media release has been provided by Blizzard PR and is presented by the GOA team for informational purposes]
Arise, Death Knights! The ground beneath the frozen north quakes with the pounding steps of the marching Scourge, as the Lich King sends his undead armies to the besieged Blood Elf capital of Silvermoon City once again. With March of the Lich King, the next expansion for Blizzard’s digital card game, players will take up the mantle of the new Death Knight class, plus apply a new layer to deckbuilding with Runes, exclusive to Death Knights.
Players will earn 32 of the Death Knight class cards upon completion of the new Death Knight prologue, which tells the story of Prince Arthas’ journey to darkness. The 26-card Path of Arthas set is included as part of the March of the Lich King Mega Bundle and will be available separately, purchasable with Gold or Runestones, with all included cards being craftable. An additional 10 Death Knight cards can be found in March of the Lich King card packs.
BEHOLD THE POWER OF THE UNDEAD!
- Join the Fight as a Death Knight! Rising as the 11th playable class in the game are the multiskilled Death Knights—unliving champions of the Scourge who fortify themselves with blood, blast enemies with frost, and raise the dead with unholy magic. The class carries a ghoulish hero power, creating enticing synergies with Corpses (any friendly minions that fall during battle). The Death Knight Hero Power, Ghoul Charge, summons a 1/1 Ghoul with Charge that dies at the end of the turn.
- Specialise Your Deck with Runes. Central to deckbuilding with Death are new Blood, Frost, and Unholy runes, which are an advanced way of specialising your deck towards a wide range of playstyles. Identified on their corresponding cards, the runes provide a new axis for players who enjoy deckbuilding, offering more depth when constructing new decks. Players can choose to focus on one rune type or mix and match to their delight, making Death Knights the most varied class to date.
- Blood Runes Play big minions and fight for board control. Blood rune decks are incredibly resilient and drain life blood from their opponents through health manipulation magic.
- Frost Runes Slice and dice your way through opponents with icy blasts of direct damage. With an abundance of spell synergy and mana control, the Frost line-up can easily freeze and undermine the enemy.
- Unholy Runes Raise relentless armies of the Undead and utilise Corpses in explosive ways. With Unholy runes, players can flood the board with minions that just refuse to stay dead.
NEW CLASS: DEATH KNIGHT
- 68 new class cards, including 32 free Core Set cards
- Hero Power: Ghoul Charge
- Summon a 1/1 Ghoul with Charge that dies at the end of the turn.
- New Resource: Corpses
- Every time a friendly minion dies it’s counted as a Corpse.
- Deckbuilding System: Runes
- Blood for control gameplay with health manipulation.
- Frost for direct damage with icy spells.
- Unholy for swarms of minions across the board.
NEW EXPANSION: MARCH OF THE LICH KING
- New Minion type: Undead
- Now your Undead minions are easy to identify!
- Hundreds of minions from previous expansions updated to include Undead minion type.
- New Keyword: Manathirst
- Cards have additional powers when you have enough mana crystals to trigger the effect.
- No mana needs to be consumed for the bonus effect to be triggered.
EVENT SYSTEM REVAMP
- Events will now have a dedicated place within the Hearthstone user interface.
- When an event is active, the Journal button is modified; reward content also will now have a dedicated space within the Journal.
- Knights of Hallow’s End event will be live TODAY – bringing all Knights of the Frozen Throne cards back into Standard until March of the Lich King releases.
Hearthstone: March of the Lich King is set to release December 6 2022 on Mac and Windows® PCs, Windows®, iOS and Android™ tablets, iOS and Android™ phones.