Good Morning Nintendo fans! We woke up to some exciting news about Super Mario Maker 2 this morning with a jam packed Nintendo Direct video full of surprises including an extensive story mode, an impressive multiplayer option and a slew of new courses, tools and features.
What’s new you say?
- Slopes – Create angled surfaces by just picking a direction and setting the length. Gentler slopes are an additional option as well.
- Angry Sun – Remember the angry sun that attacked Mario in Super Mario Bros. 3? It’s back and ready to put the pressure on players in this new game.
- ON/OFF Switch – Hit an ON/OFF Switch, and all the red and blue blocks in the course will swap. Setting them up wisely will help players create tricky puzzles and obstacles.
- Water Level – The water level in Super Mario Maker 2 can be adjusted in the Forest theme, so only half the course can be underwater if that’s what the player wants. Water can even be set to rise and fall at different speeds over time.
- Banzai Bill – The red variations of these classic Super Mario enemies have a homing function that chases poor Mario wherever he goes.
- Co-op Making: Pass a Joy-Con controller to a friend to create a course together.
Story mode will allow for the game to be taken offline and features over 100 levels in which Mario will help Peach reconstruct her castle by collecting as many coins as possible.
In even bigger news Super Mario 3D World has been added to the game with level design in the style of this classic game. Probably the highlight of adding this game are the characters with Cat Mario an option and Piranha Creeper coming to the mix.
In addition to the game there is a bunch of new bundles for the game including Super Mario Maker 2 + 12 month Nintendo Online subscription for $94.95. The stand alone game comes with a RRP of $74.95.
You can watch the full video via the player above.
Super Mario Maker 2 is release exclusively on the Nintendo Switch on June 28th.