Sony announced today that they will be launching an all new PlayStation Plus. Coming in June, the all new service has more than 700 games and features mores value than ever.
There are three levels of membership: Essential, Extra, and Premium.
Essential provides the same benefits as current PlayStation Plus members are getting now. That includes two monthly downloadable games, discounts, cloud storage for saved games and online multiplayer.
Extra provides everything that Essential has as well as a catalogue of up to 400 PS4 and PS5 games. These games will be from the PlayStation Studios catalogue and Sony’s third party partners and available for download.
The highest level of access, Premium, gets access to all the Essential and Extras as well as some additional features. PS3 games will be available via cloud streaming and a selection of classic games from the PS1, PS2 and PSP eras will also be offered for streaming and download. Gamers will be able to stream games to their PS4s, PS5s and PC as well as access time limited trials of some games.
Where cloud streaming isn’t available, PlayStation Plus Deluxe will be. Deluxe offers everything that Premium does except for cloud gaming. Unfortunately, that includes Australia.
While this package is amazing I can’t help but feel let down that Australia misses out on Sony’s planned cloud gaming, at least for now. This kind of service is something that Sony has badly needed to compete with Xbox’s Games Pass, although the price difference may be the sticking point for some people.
It’s also interesting to see that Sony’s cloud gaming will be coming to PC. If they every release a PC only package I would be all over that. Only time will tell how well their cloud gaming service operates.
See below for more information about the PlayStation Plus subscription levels.
PlayStation Plus Essential
US$9.99 monthly / US$24.99 quarterly / US$59.99 yearly
- Provides the same benefits that PlayStation Plus members are getting today, such as:
- Two monthly downloadable games
- Exclusive discounts
- Cloud storage for saved games
- Online multiplayer access
- There are no changes for existing PlayStation Plus members in this tier.
PlayStation Plus Extra
US$14.99 monthly / US$39.99 quarterly / US$99.99 yearly
- Provides all the benefits from the Essential tier
- Adds a catalogue of up to 400 of the most enjoyable PS4 and PS5 games – including blockbuster hits from our PlayStation Studios catalogue and third-party partners. Games in the Extra tier are downloadable for play.
PlayStation Plus Premium
US$17.99 monthly / US$49.99 quarterly / US$119.99 yearly
- Provides all the benefits from Essential and Extra tiers
- Adds up to 340 additional games, including:
- PS3 games available via cloud streaming
- A catalogue of beloved classic games available in both streaming and download options from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations
- Offers cloud streaming access for original PlayStation, PS2, PSP and PS4 games offered in the Extra and Premium tiers in markets where PlayStation Now is currently available. Customers can stream games using PS4 and PS5 consoles, and PC.
- Time-limited game trials will also be offered in this tier, so customers can try select games before they buy.
PlayStation Plus Deluxe (Select Markets)
For markets without cloud streaming, PlayStation Plus Deluxe will be offered at a lower price compared to Premium, and includes a catalogue of beloved classic games from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations to download and play, along with time-limited game trials. Benefits from Essential and Extra tiers are also included. Local pricing will vary by market.