Xbox continued it’s incredible form throughout 2018 by providing a sh*t-tonne of announcements during today’s X018 – here’s all the big stuff!
Xbox acquires two new studios
The major news of the day was Microsoft’s intent to acquire two new studios with storied histories, Obsidian Entertainment (South Park, Star Wars KotOR, Fallout) and inXile Entertainment (The Bard’s Tale, Wasteland).
About the acquisition Microsoft noted:
“They will continue to operate autonomously with their unique talents, IP and expertise. As part of Microsoft Studios, Obsidian and inXile will have the support and freedom to fully realize their creative ambitions on both existing franchises and new RPG projects.”
New titles featured
X018 also featured a lineup of upcoming titles with something for every gamer, including a first-look at Crackdown 3’s multiplayer mode.
New content from Just Cause 4.
New content from Sea of Thieves.
New content from State of Decay 2.
Xbox also revealed deep holiday discounts on consoles, games and Xbox Game Pass, the best value in gaming that provides access to more than 100 games for one monthly price. The team announced a number of awesome new titles coming to Xbox Game Pass soon, including hits like PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds (PUBG).
Below is a brief overview of the news, but if you have some reading time up your sleeve you can deep-dive it all here.
The Best Place to Play Blockbuster Games
- Debuted a new trailer for Battlefield V highlighting Xbox One X enhancements, provided a first look at Devil May Cry 5‘s Void Mode, revealed two new fighters joining the Jump Force roster, debuted a new CGI cinematic trailer for Just Cause 4, and revealed the return of Winnie the Pooh in a brand-new Kingdom Hearts III trailer
- Provided a closer look at the upcoming Shadow of the Tomb Raider DLC called The Forge
- Revealed that Xbox One X enhanced versions of Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy XIII-2 and LIGHTNING RETURNS: Final Fantasy XIII will be added to the Back Compat catalogue and that Civilization Revolution, already available in the Backward Compat library, will be receiving an Xbox One X Enhanced update on Nov. 13
- Announced that mouse and keyboard support for Xbox One will arrive next week, with select titles enabled at launch
- Announced that the Xbox Adaptive Controller will launch in new markets worldwide
The Biggest Value in Gaming Gets Even Better
- Revealed Xbox’s Black Friday deals, which include discounts that bring the Xbox One X down to its lowest price ever at $399.99 and allows you to get one month of Xbox Game Pass for $1
- Announced new titles coming to Xbox Game Pass, including PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds (PUBG) on Nov. 12 and Ori and the Blind Forest and Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice in December
- Announced general availability of the Xbox Game Pass mobile app for iOS and Android
- Debuted #givewithXbox, a new campaign that enables Xbox fans to give back to four inspirational charities
More Content You Can’t Get Anywhere Else
- Announced that Obsidian Entertainment and inXile Entertainment are joining Microsoft Studios
- Revealed Crackdown 3’s Wrecking Zone multiplayer mode
- Debuted the first new expansion for Forza Horizon 4 called Fortune Island
- Announced that the Minecraft Marketplace has reached 77 partners who have driven more than 13 million purchase since it launched last June
- Debuted a new free content update for Sea of Thieves called ‘The Arena.’
- Revealed the Zedhunter content pack for State of Decay 2
- Premiered Void Bastards, a new console launch exclusive title for Xbox One